This post is for all those people who want to start exercising regularly but don’t know where to start OR for the people who are thinking about it and need an extra push in the right direction.
Regular exercise can do wonders for our bodies. Did you know our lymphatic system (which is basically our immune system) works when we move our bodies? It actually depends on our movement to transfer fluids to the right places. Not only that but it is great for our heart and lungs to get them pumping and stronger. Exercise improves every function and system in our bodies. With that in mind let's go over 5 tips that will help you get started.
- Don’t do something you hate. If you hate running... then don’t do it. You can bike, walk, lift weights, do yoga, dance, and so much more. Find something you enjoy doing and stick with it. It can’t hurt to try something new because you may just end up loving it.
- Start small. If you feel like you don’t have the time or energy to exercise then start small. Set a 10 minute timer on your phone and do some stretches or go on a walk around your neighborhood if it’s safe. You can also walk around your house or go up and down the stairs. Whatever you choose to do, just do it for 10 min. This is a great way to get in the habit of exercising and then on days where you feel like you can go longer try 20 min or 30 min and work your way up.
- Find a show or podcast to listen to only when you are working out. This gives you something to look forward to in your workout. Find a show or podcast you can only watch or listen to when you are working out. When you are done working out, turn it off and wait until the next time you work out to continue it. This will help give you some extra motivation to work out.
- YouTube. If you don’t want to commit to a gym membership or can’t afford it, look around on YouTube for workout videos. Find someone who you enjoy listening to and is motivating for you and follow along with them in their workout. There are a lot of beginner workout videos to try and as you progress, there are more intense ones as well.
- Change your mindset. Instead of thinking working out is something you “have to do” or something that you need to do to lose weight, think of it as self love. This is a way for you to take care of yourself and time for you to be more in tune with your body. You can see how strong you are and also what your limits are. It is a great journey watching yourself become stronger and more resilient. Make it a competition with yourself and see if you can push yourself a little more each time your work out.
I hope these tips helped you in getting started! Comment below what other tips work for you.